Don't cry over spilled laundry soap...

It's been a stressful day. The kids have driven me absolutely nuts with requests of endless afterschool snacks, fighting over video games, fighting over the TV channel, fighting about literally everything...

My house is a disaster because let's face it, I am the worst housekeeper in the history of the world. Our home generally looks like it belongs in an episode of Hoarders (okay, maybe it's not that bad) and it does a number on my mental health. The clutter and endless laundry and the fact that I have three kids that have never been made to do chores (this is totally and completely my fault) mean that there is a never-ending list of things that need to be done. Even on the days where I feel like I have accomplished so much, it still looks like I haven't done much of anything.

This day, in particular, I had made a beautiful steak and baked potato dinner. It was fantastic, the steak was perfectly grilled, which for me is a rare occurrence as I am known to burn everything I BBQ. I had just sat down and was tucking into my baked potato with garden-grown green onions when my husband came home from work. He went into the basement to go to his office and came back up quickly.

"What happened down there?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" as I take a big bite of steak

"Umm.. well... there is... it's like, flooded."

"WHAT? Are you joking?"

"No, but it's laundry detergent. Not water. How did that happen?"

UGH. I knew exactly how it had happened. I always buy the Econo-size laundry detergents with the push valve opening because I have three boys and they make for a lot of dirty clothing. I had set the detergent on the edge of the dryer to facilitate me using the fancy push-button valve thing... but I had failed to turn it back upright when I was done, resulting in it falling off as my laundry was drying. Knowing that it was a brand new bottle of detergent, I expected it to be a mess... but I did not expect it to literally be emptied out onto my basement floor.

I was super bummed, not only because I had to clean it up, but also because I absolutely hate wasting things. As I was begrudgingly getting my mop bucket ready to literally pour this detergent down the drain, my oldest asked what happened. I explained and he asked if he could help me clean it up. I said that wasn't necessary but if he would like to help it would be appreciated. He came downstairs and looked at the mess

"Wow, Mom... that sucks."

Then he said possibly the most brilliant thing I have ever heard him say.

"Why don't you just use cloths or towels to soak some of it up and then you can put those in the washer with other stuff to be kind of like a laundry pod?"

WHAT. Why did I not think of that? In hindsight, it seemed pretty obvious, but the fact that he was so level-headed and had such great problem-solving ability in the moment made me so proud. He also reminded me that this isn't the worst thing that could happen and that it would be easily solved by cleaning it up,  He is 8. EIGHT. He helped me mop most of it up and then rinse the rest down the drain of the basement. As I was thanking him for his help, He said to me... "Mom, don't cry over spilled laundry detergent. At least the house smells great now!"


Don't sweat the small stuff. Be thankful it's not big stuff.

My house does smell fantastic now.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CanBike Safer Cycling Classes - Learning how to ride a bike!

Drumheller, Alberta Road Trip!